Working Holiday Visas

The Working Holiday program encourages cultural exchange and closer ties between certain countries by allowing
young people between the ages of 18 and 30 to have an extended holiday supplemented by short-term employment. Applying for a working holiday visa is relatively straight forward and in most cases can be done online. If you are contemplating a longer stay in Australia on completion of your Working Holiday Visa you will need to do some prior planning and get some professional advice. This article was published in February's edition of the Australia New Zealand magazine.

A Working Holiday Visa (417) allows the visa holder to:

  • enter Australia within 12 months of the date of visa grant;
  • stay in Australia for up to 12 months;
  • leave and re-enter Australia any number of times while the visa is valid;
  • work in Australia for up to 6 months with each employer;
  • and study for up to 4 months.

In some circumstances Working Holiday Visa holders can apply for a second Working Holiday Visa.

Australia currently has reciprocal Working Holiday arrangements with:

  • Belgium;
  • Canada;
  • Republic of Cyprus;
  • Denmark;
  • Estonia;
  • Finland;
  • France;
  • Germany;
  • Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR);
  • Republic of Ireland;
  • Italy;
  • Japan;
  • Republic of Korea;
  • Malta;
  • Netherlands;
  • Norway;
  • Sweden;
  • Taiwan; and
  • United Kingdom.

If you are interested in longer term migration you are advised to consider other visa options.

IMSVISA Services: Australian visa application advice and support newsletter

Stay informed with our latest news!

Syndicate content